The Journey

The Journey Challenge

I’m currently working on my entry for The Journey Challenge on Artstation. I’ve decided to go for a kind of modern day shamanic healer / witch.

Photobash_03

For this project, I’m not trying to do anything overly complicated, so that I can focus on each element carefully and get all the necessary details in good time. At this stage, I’ve created a basic concept with no real tertiary details, as I’m going to bring the model up to this basic stage first, then do paintovers and mess around from there.

WIPScreenie_020416_01

I’ve been having a bit of a bad time with her back but I’ve forced myself to move on, otherwise I’ll be faffing forever.
I’ve made a quick curly hair alpha but I doubt it’s going to work all that well! If it looks dreadful then I think I’m going to be making a curly/afro hair strand from scratch in zbrush – fun fun fun!

*Updates:
WIPScreenie_290416_02

Quick scribble-over to get my brain working

WIPScreenie_040516_01

Currently, all items are made ready for texturing/rigging, excluding her bangle chains, eyelash alphas, book and crow familiar. I also need to remember to fix her back before baking!

Kindzi Project

WIPScreenie_120416_01

Before I started the Journey Challenge, I was working on Kindzi again, where she is currently at the texturing stage. I’m trying to take my time with texturing, to really identify stages/ processes that I’m not comfortable/familiar with, in an effort to work out the kinks now to allow a smoother workflow in the future.

So far I’ve been focusing on her clothes and armour, as I have less experience with clothing than I do with skin.

JGC WIP Render

I’ve also rendered a quick video of my progress with my game. All progress so far is engine work – everything else is placeholder, as I will be making the dragon and other assets at a later date.

With this I’m looking forward to working on more stylised creature characters and environments as it’ll allow me to go with the flow a bit more instead of noodling over realism. It’ll also allow me to have a bit more fun with texturing.

Monster Challenge

Whilst I was off to a good start with this guy, personal life managed to take a huuuge bite out of my time with this project and I once again fell short on texturing. I had big plans for repeating patterns and really wanted to nail the texturing as it was good practice for organic materials.Still, I’ve found ways of speeding up the sculpting/modelling/rigging pipeline, so it was frustrating that I couldn’t pull the final textures out of the bag in the last few days of the challenge. However by this point, the work/life balance was well out of whack, so I cut my loses, submitted my design, then ignored 3D for a few days to recuperate!

TGC_2016_3D_TamsinSpick_WIP03

It was tricky deciding how I was going to make the parts of the monster and in what order, but it was also nice being able to sculpt creepy skulls/body parts which helped keep the frustration at bay.

TGC_2016_3D_TamsinSpick_WIP02

TGC_2016_3D_TamsinSpick_WIP03

By the time of the second WIP screenshot, I was starting to run out of time. Morale was at a low too and the productive, enthusiastic energy I’d recently gained had disappeared into thin air. A week before the challenge deadline, I didn’t really have any energy left. After retopping and unwrapping, I think I had 3-4 days (a weekend?) left to texture, which at the time felt like loooads of time (“It’s gonna be fiiiiiine”).

TGC_2016_3D_TamsinSpick_FinalSubmission

Mehhhh

When it actually got into texturing however, I felt at a loss. Texturing is one of the only areas that isn’t up to the standard I’d like, and I haven’t developed many quick, efficient workflows that leave me time to add those finer details. With the monster, I tried to quickly throw on base textures, then work the details up. However, I’d also missed out on a lot of paintovers where I’d planned on finalising the colour palette (to a colour scheme from a dream I had as a kid :3 ) and tertiary details, so I generally lacked direction, no matter how much I tried to speed up the process.

I dream of a new super computer, that allows me to have more than 3 programs open at once and render 4k textures, but for now, I’m going back to basics and revising how to simplify the texturing process with the Kindzi Project.

 

T Designs

I also sent off my first t-shirt design for critique and feedback on Threadless. My “colouring-in” skills still need work and so I’m trying to get more digi painting practice in. Whilst I didn’t get a lot of feedback, someone commented that the gradient may not have helped the design and I have to agree with them. I’m still a noob at this, just gotta get it wrong a few times before I can get it right!

A&D_01

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s